Broccoli salad has been a staple in my family for as long as I can remember. We’d have it on holiday occasions and periodically in between, but makes a cool summer salad for when things start to heat up. It’d been sounding good to me for a while so I decided to re-create the traditional recipe to make it a little healthier. Rather than commercial shredded cheese, miracle whip, sugar and bacon bits, it’s no sugar added, uncured smoked bacon and Sir Kensingtons original mayo.
Re-vamped Broccoli Salad
- 1 12 – 16 oz bag frozen broccoli (ran under cold water to thaw, and dry a bit)
- 2 fresh ripe mangoes diced
- 1/2 diced large red onion
- Cut up beef (we had some leftover from our smoker, so I used kitchen shears and cut it up!)
- Cut up cooked bacon
- 1 cup Sir Kensginton’s original mayo
- White vinegar (enough to get mayo to dressing consistency you prefer)
Toss everything in a large bowl and let refrigerate overnight. The mango adds the perfect touch of sweetness instead of a cup of refined white sugar, and the recipe remains dairy free! I really did not miss the cheese at all, and it’s full of healthy colors!
Enjoy (I apologize, I only took one photo, which is a pretty crappy photo)!